GRILLED SUMMER SAUSAGE SLIDERS WITH FENNEL SLAW
Sliders are the perfect alternative when you’re not looking for something heavy, but want a quick snack! For these sliders our Signature Beef Summer Sausage is topped with tangy fennel slaw, creamy gouda cheese, and crisp iceberg lettuce. They take literally minutes to make and taste absolutely incredible (and no, I’m not exaggerating!).
Oh, and you better make extra because they will go quickly!
For this recipe, I replaced the typical burger (that you would normally find on sliders) for Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage. To keep things simple, you slice it thin and cook it indoors on a cast iron griddle pan or take the party outside and throw them on the grill. The beef summer sausage turns a beautiful dark golden color and the flavor is elevated because of the high heat. If you’ve never tried it, you should give it a go. It’s strangely like bacon when it is cooked this way (although it has more of a yummy beefy taste).
BEEF SUMMER SAUSAGE SLIDERS: THE COMPONENTS
There are four components to the sliders: the buns, Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage, iceberg lettuce, and the fennel slaw. I knew that fennel is used a lot in sausage making so instead of just adding some boring greens, I decided to make a bowl of slaw to serve along with them. Tip: Be sure to use the lacy fronds as well as the bulb itself for maximum flavor!
I don’t normally eat fennel so I was a bit hesitant to make the slaw. However, once you combine it with the red bell pepper, celery, onion, and vinegar, it takes on a whole new taste. It really compliments the Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage too.
To get the cheese all melty, stack 2 or 3 pieces of the cooked beef summer sausage onto the griddle, add a slice of gouda cheese, and cover with a metal bowl. Let this sit for a minute so that the heat can circulate around and melt the cheese. This is a trick we used in the restaurant to melt cheese for burgers and it works equally as well with these!
Be sure to add a few pieces of iceberg lettuce (or any other lettuce that floats your boat) and then the top bun. Keep things tidy with a bamboo toothpick and enjoy!
Grilled Summer Sausage Sliders with Fennel Slaw
For the Fennel Slaw
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fennel bulb and fronds
For the Sliders
- 1 Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage, sliced 1/8" thick
- Gouda Cheese
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Slider Buns
To make the Fennel Slaw
- In a bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, celery, bell pepper, and onion. Drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk.
- Add the fennel and toss until evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For the Grilled Hickory Farms Summer Sausage
- Heat a cast iron griddle over medium heat (alternatively, you can use a frying pan or even an outdoor grill).
- Add the summer sausage and cook until crispy on both sides.
- Reduce the heat and place the sausage in stacks of two or three slices each.
- Add a piece of the Gouda cheese to each stack then cover them with a metal bowl. Let this sit for 30 seconds to a minute or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
To make the sliders
- Cut each slider bun in half.
- Add a spoonful of the fennel slaw to the bottom bun. Top each of these with a stack of summer sausage and a few pieces of the iceberg lettuce.
- Add the top bun and a toothpick to hold everything in place.
Erin Fesperman is the editor, food stylist, and photographer of Faith Food Family Fun, an up-and-coming food blog which features weekly kitchen tips as well as a variety of mouth-watering recipes. She has a passion for cooking and has been creating exclusive content for Hickory Farms since 2015.