The 6 Best Gifts to Give Someone Who is Grieving
Losing a loved one is never easy, whether it was an expected loss due to old age or a sudden tragedy that no one saw coming, the pain is gut-wrenching and saying goodbye hurts.
Watching a friend or family member learn to cope with the passing of a loved one is just as hard sometimes. Maybe you are at a loss for words and are not sure how to comfort them.
Many times, a warm hug will do, being a shoulder to cry on speaks volumes.
Other times, a beautiful arrangement of flowers or a special sympathy gift basket, with a heartfelt card will do great to voice your condolences.
Regardless of what action you take, letting your friends or family know that you are there for them in their time of need is so important. Though they may ask for space, respect their wishes for some alone time to process things, however, make sure they know they can count on you to be there when they are ready to talk or simply just need a person to sit with.
Sometimes by being in the same room with them, even if you are just sharing silence, you can show you sympathize with them, because a quiet space with a friend close by may be just what they need.
If a gift seems more suiting for a specific relative or friend who is grieving, we recommend one of the 7 listed below.
- Memorial Windchime - There is something about a sweet sound that often takes you back to a specific memory. With a beautiful windchime, engraved with kind words or, In Loving Memory of, this sentimental gift is a great go-to.
- Embroidered Item - One of the hardest facts to face when grieving is that their physical presence is no longer there. A cozy, embroidered blanket with a phrase from the loved one is a sweet way to show you care and to give them the feel that their loved one is, in a way, always there.
- Memorial Stone - This unique gift is a great way to share your condolences. Engrave a verse from scripture or a simple In Memory of, either way, this stone will be a forever keepsake.
- Gift Basket - Comfort food can go a long way, whether it is colorful and tasty fruit, or a box of chocolates and wine, a sympathy gift basket full of luxury and relaxing items are sometimes the best way to show your sympathy.
- Keepsake Box - One of the most treasured gifts, a keepsake box of mementos is one of the sweetest ways to show compassion during a time of loss. This cherished gift is sure to lift spirits during a time of grief. Fill it full of letters, small objects, pieces of cloth or anything else that may remind them of their loved one.
- Pendant/Locket - A great way to keep your loved one close to your heart, a lovely pendant or locket with a photo in it is a precious gift that will be appreciated for years and years to come.