Shrimp and Cheesy Grits
One of our favorite warm and cozy cold weather recipes is a cheesy shrimp and grits dish. Blended with the sharp bite of our Hickory Farms Reserve 3 Year aged cheddar, this is a recipe that is perfect for the entire family and simple to make!
For the Grits
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the Shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup (about 2) green onion, sliced thin on an angle
- 2 cloves garlic
- hot sauce
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Making the Grits
- Bring broth, water, and butter to a boil. Add in grits and sugar, stirring constantly to avoid clumps.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30-45 minutes until done. Be sure to stir periodically to prevent grits from sticking.
- Stir in cream, cream cheese, and Hickory Farms Reserve 3 Year Aged Cheddar.
- Keep warm.
Making the Shrimp
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, render bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon bits to a paper towel. Remove pan from the heat while you dust the shrimp with flour. (Reserve the oil in the pan)
- In a small bowl, add flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and dredge each one in the flour.
- Return pan (with reserved bacon fat) to medium heat and add shrimp one at a time.
- Cook until tails just begin to turn pink.
- Turn the shrimp over and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, green onion, garlic, parsley, half of the bacon, a few shakes of hot sauce and a squeeze of the lemon. Toss to cook the added ingredients.
- Add chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
- Divide grits among bowls and add shrimp to the center.
- Garnish with reserved bacon and extra parsley.