WARM QUINOA SALAD WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES & BEEF SUMMER SAUSAGE
This recipe for Warm Quinoa Salad and Roasted Vegetables is perfect as a fall meal or even served as a side for Thanksgiving dinner. Take it to the next level by adding fresh thyme, Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage, and a drizzle of warm apricot vinaigrette.
I feel like I’m the last person to jump on the quinoa train. I don’t really know why I waited so long but I totally regret doing so. Come to find out, quinoa is remarkably good for you (better than most any other grain out there!) and it tastes pretty amazing too.
QUINOA SALAD WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES & HICKORY FARMS BEEF SUMMER SAUSAGE
The ingredients that make this salad really stand out are the perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts, golden butternut squash, caramelized red onion, and little bits of Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage that you see peeking through the vegetables and quinoa. I even roasted a few cloves of garlic in foil to serve with it because, well, why not.
During my last shopping trip, I noticed a display of Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage right as I walked through the door. For me, this is usually the first sign of the holidays (although you can buy it year-round online). I immediately started getting tons of ideas for fall recipes.
Oh, and before I forget – In the coming weeks, I’ll be making summer sausage pizza rolls that will be perfect for your next game-day party so be on the lookout for that one also!
Did you know that there are three main types of quinoa? Out of the thousands of varieties, red, white, and black are most popular. They are all equally delicious so feel free to use whichever you like for this recipe! The one thing that’s super important with quinoa is that you must rinse it really well (at least 2 minutes – shaking and stirring with your hands in a fine mesh strainer) prior to cooking.
The reason? There is a naturally occurring coating called saponin that is quite bitter which you’ll want to get off.
Roasting vegetables is ridiculously easy and is my favorite way to cook them. Simply chop up your favorite veggies (make sure they are all about the same size), toss them in oil, throw ‘em on a sheet pan, and roast the whole shebang in a hot oven until they are golden and perfectly tender.
*For the quinoa salad, I added the Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage during the last 15 minutes so that they wouldn’t get too overdone.
This Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables is best served warm but can also be served at room temperature. With the addition of the Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage, this dish is transformed into the perfect weeknight dinner idea!
Warm Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables & Beef Summer Sausage
This warm salad makes for a perfect dinner or would even be great served as a side at your next holiday meal.
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 30 min
Total Time 45 min
For the Roasted Vegetables & Summer Sausage
- 1/2 of a 5oz Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausage
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 10oz Bag of Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed and cut in half
- 1 Medium red onion, chopped
- Fresh thyme
- Olive Oil for drizzling
- Salt & Pepper
For the Quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken or beef broth or water
- Quinoa, rinsed in cold water for 2 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Apricot Vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Apricot Preserves
Roasted Vegetables and Beef Summer Sausage
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Add chopped vegetables to a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper then stir in enough olive oil so that all the pieces are coated.
- Pour vegetables out onto a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and scatter the Hickory Farms Signature Beef Summer Sausageonto the pan. Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are golden and tender.
- Heat saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil then the rinsed quinoa and cook for about a minute (to toast it up a bit).
- Add broth (or water, if using) and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Don't open the lid until the 20 minutes are up!
- Fluff with a fork and serve with roasted vegetables and vinaigrette.
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds until warm. Stir to completely dissolve ingredients.
To assemble Quinoa Salad
- Add a spoonful of quinoa to a bowl or plate and add a spoonful of vegetables. Add another spoonful of quinoa and some more vegetables then drizzle over the vinaigrette prior to serving. Finish with fresh thyme leaves to elevate the flavors.
- Serves 3-4 as a meal or up to 8 if served as a side. Recipe can easily be doubled, just be sure to use 2 baking trays to allow for plenty of room for the vegetables.
Erin Fesperman is the editor, food stylist, and photographer of Faith Food Family Fun, an up-and-coming food blog which features weekly kitchen tips as well as a variety of mouth-watering recipes. She has a passion for cooking and has been creating exclusive content for Hickory Farms since 2015.